Monday, December 3, 2012

Be Still


Be still and know that I am God!
I will be honored by every nation.
I will be honored throughout the world.
Psalms 46:10

Be still? I have trouble sitting, waiting and listening. My preference would be for the Lord to part the clouds and say, “Go over here and do this.” Wouldn’t that be nice? We could get right to doing. The Lord does call us to go and do, but he also calls us to be. “Be still and know that I am God”. Oh how that verse has tormented me. I have spent years trying to figure out what I need to do to be. Have you ever seen a fern when it’s first sprouting from the ground? Its leaves are rolled in and its stem is tightly curled into itself. As it grows, it begins to unfurl until the stem is stretched backwards with all its leaves extended. It’s completely open and surrendered to the sun. That is how I want to live. I want to be unfurled of being so tightly curled and focused on myself. I want to be stretched backwards with my arms extended, completely open and surrendered to the Lord, trusting him at every step. To be in His presence.

Honored God. Forgive me for not trusting you fully. You are trustworthy. You do what you say you’ll do. Unfurl me so that I can be open and surrendered to you, basking in the presence of you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment